Thursday, April 9, 2009

Magnetic Chess Board --> Crystal Chess Board

This story is about my eldest uncle(Boro Mama), Mr. Ashraf Chowdhury, who is living in USA with his family now and a little bit about my mamoni(Khala) who is always like mother to us. I can't remember the actual year or time of this event but i was not more than 7/8 years. I learnt playing chess just before four months of that time and my coach was my father (He is a good player till now) . That time my uncle returned from Saudi Arab for a vacation. So we all(our family) went to Mohammadpur(my grandpa's house) to meet him. Uncle brought lots of toys, candies and clothes for us. But i was greedy to have a new thing and it was a magnetic chess board that he brought. One afternoon boro mama was sleeping in the middle room and the door was opened. We were afraid of boro mama as he is the senior to all. So i wasn't totally making any fun(dustumi) that day, tried my best to remain as a gentle boy(it was too tough for a kid like me). The magnetic chess board was kept upon the dinning table. I was just staring at that chess board and the thought in my mind was ..."If i can play with that chess board only for once then i will be the happiest person at that moment". I told my brothers to bring the chess board to have a game. But they didn't dare to go as they had to cross the path which was visible from Boro Mama's bed and if our boro mama got up from his sleeping due to any noise then he would be annoyed and our mother might beat(dholai) us for annoying. But i couldn't resist myself to bring the chess board. So i started walking like a cat(silent walk) and i succeeded to reach the dinning table . I took the chess board(70% mission was completed) and when i was getting back to our base then some noise was created(as i was in a hurry). My boro mama woke up and i was just freezed infront of the door(boro mama's room). Boro mama called everyone of us(me and my two senior brothers) in his room. We were just afraid and even we didn't have the courage to say anything. Boro mama asked me (as i was holding the chess board) .. "Rajib tumi ki daba khelte chasso?(Rajib do you wanna play the chess?)." I just shaked my head to reply positively(no speech). Then he asked "Dekhi tumi kemon khela sikheso...jodi tumi amar sathe jitte paro tahole bikele tumader Sangsad Bhovon e ghurte niye jabo..thik ase?(Lets see your expertiseness in Chess...if you can defeat me then i will take all of you to visit Parliament Bhavan... r u ready to play?)". I agreed to play. We started playing and after an hour i won the game...hurray. Boro mama kept his promise. He took us to have a visit of Parliament bhavan...we had lots of fun there. But its not the end of the story..... more surprise was waiting for me. When we were to return to Siddhirganj Power Station(our home) boro mama told me "Rajib amar ghore jao...tumar jonno ekta gift rakha ase...niye aso. (Rajib, a gift is kept in my room for you...go and bring it here)". I went and saw a large gift-wrapped box. I thought it was another candy box. I brought it infront of all and when i opened it, my eyes were stucked....it was beyond my imagination and expectation...its the magnetic chess board....i shouted with joy(in my mind not infront of boro mama!!). Boro mama told me "Try to play this game whenever you have time but not during study time, it will build a constructive strategy within you". That was a lot for me.

In 2005 my mamoni(Khala) gave me a crystal chess board as a gift(returning from USA)...coz she remembered that event and she knew that i was fond of playing chess.

No comments:

Post a Comment